Our Leadership training program is for previous intermediate campers who wish to spend some time volunteering at our camp throughout the summer. We spend a full week of fun and training. This is a residential camp and we fill our days with riding as well as learning how to safely work with the horses and children at the same time.
To qualify for our training program campers must be a minimum of 13 yrs by Jan 1st of the current year. You must be knowledgeable working with horses and comfortable working with children. All our leaders must be willing to volunteer for a minimum of 2 weeks throughout the summer.
In order to be a volunteer you must have a valid 1st Aid certificate. Please bring a copy with you.
Invitations for Leadership camp are sent out in December each year.
If you did not receive an invitation, but would like to attend leadership camp please contact me and I will see if we can fit you in.
FAQ's about Leadership Camp
- Do I have to stay overnight for leadership camp?
- No it is not necessary to sleep over but we do have long days and we are typically not finished for the day until about 10 pm. Missing any part of the training program will make it more difficult for you while you are volunteering. - Besides that the evenings are when you have the most social time. We strongly encourage you to sleep over.
- Can I volunteer more then 2 weeks?
- Yes as long as there is space you are welcome to come as many weeks as you like.
- Do I have to stay overnight on my volunteer weeks?
- No. - If you are here on a Day Camp week the campers all go home at 4 pm and you are welcome to leave at that time as well. If you are helping on a residential week it may be closer to 7 pm before we are finished with the days activities. Although you are more then welcome to stay over if you want.
- Is there a cost for the weeks I volunteer?
- No - I will feed you and give you a place to sleep and a whole pile of fun for the week in exchange for your help.
- Do Leaders get to ride?
- You will get the same amount of riding time during your week of camp as any other camper would. During the weeks you are volunteering it is very dependent on your riding abilities and what horses we have available as to how much riding you will get. Horses and Ponies that work hard all week in camp don't need the "extra exercise"
- What level 1st aid do I need?
- You need the one day emergency 1st aid or babysitting course.
- Cost $625 per week (includes HST)
- All campers are required to wear foot ware with a 1/2" heel and a properly fitted, current, ASTM/SEI approved Equine Helmet. (for safety reasons we do not allow Bicycle Helmets)
- A Non-refundable deposit of $150/week of day is required with application, the balance is due May 15th
- Applications are due Mar 31st
- All participants MUST have a waiver signed by the legal parent or guardian to participate in any camp activities. A copy of the waiver can be seen here. If you are sending your child with another family member or friend please make sure you send a copy of this waiver signed with your child.
- Special Leadership Application form must be used - download it, fill in on computer and email it back to me with camper name in the file name.
- Deposit is non-refundable. Balance will be refunded if notification is recieved a minimum of one month prior to the start date of camp, after which no refund will be made without a medical certificate. No refunds after the first day of camp
- A $25 service charge will apply to all NSF cheques